Constantine (Cirta)

Constantine (Cirta)
Comprises the present arrondissement of Constantine in Algeria

Catholic Encyclopedia. . 2006.

Constantine (Cirta)
    Constantine (Cirta)
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Constantine (Cirta)
    DIOCESE OF CONSTANTINE (CONSTANTINIANA).
    Comprises the present arrondissement of Constantine in Algeria. It was separated from the Diocese of Algiers 25 July, 1866. A pontifical Brief, dated 1867, authorized its bishop to adopt the title of Bishop of Constantine and Hippo.
    The city of Cirta, which took in the fourth century the name of its restorer, Constantine, and in which this emperor built two churches, was an episcopal see from the second century up to the time of the Mussulman invasion. The Bishops Agapius and Secundinus, the soldier AEmilianus, and the virgins Tertulla and Antonia were martyred there under Valerian (253-60). A Latin inscription cut in the rocks at the entrance to the Rummel Pass (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum: Africa, 7924) mentions Sts. Marian and James as martyrs either at Cirta or Lambesa during the same persecution. Within the territory now comprising the Diocese of Constantine there were, in the fifth century, 195 dioceses, whose titles and episcopal lists have been published by Mgr. Toulotte, among them the Diocese Of Hippo, governed by St. Augustine in the fifth century. On 30 August, 1842, Mgr. Dupuch, Bishop of Algiers, brought the right arm of St. Augustine from Pavia to Hippo, and the anniversary of the translation of this precious relic is celebrated annually. A new basilica erected on the hill of Hippo, purchased by Mgr. Lavigerie in 1880, was consecrated 11 March, 1900. Prior to the enforcement of the law of 1901, there were in the diocese Lazarists, the Little Brothers of Mary, and the White Fathers; at present only the latter remain. In 1900 the diocese contained 2 foundling asylums, 22 infant asylums, 2 boys' orphanages, 4 girls' orphanages, 3 industrial schools, 2 houses of shelter, 13 hospitals and hospices, 7 dispensaries, and 15 houses of religious who care for the sick. At the close of 1905 (end of the period under the Concordat) the diocese had a population of 137,041; 5 pastorates, 67 succursal parishes (mission churches), and 17 curacies remunerated by the State.
    GEORGES GOYAU
    Transcribed by Gerald M. Knight

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Constantine (Algérie) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Constantine. Cet article concerne la ville moderne de Constantine. Pour la ville originelle à l époque antique, voir Cirta. Constantine …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Cirta — Detail of Triumph of Neptune and Amphitrite (ca. 315 325 AD), a vast Roman mosaic from Cirta. Now in the Louvre. Cirta was the capital city of the ancient Kingdom of Numidia in northern Africa (modern Algeria). Its strategically important port… …   Wikipedia

  • Cirta — 36°22′03″N 6°36′43″E / 36.3675, 6.61194 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Constantine (Algerie) — Constantine (Algérie) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Constantine. Carte de l Algérie (localisation de Constantine) …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Constantine, Algeria — Constantine قسنطينة, Qusanṭīnah also known as Kasantina   Commune and city   A bridge in Constantine …   Wikipedia

  • CONSTANTINE — CONSTANTINE, anc. CIRTA Troisième ville d’Algérie avec 441 000 habitants en 1987, première grande ville intérieure et métropole de l’Est algérien, Constantine a été à travers l’histoire la capitale la plus constante du Maghreb central (Al Moghreb …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Cirta — war eine antike Stadt in Nordafrika (heute Constantine/Algerien). Die Phönizier errichteten Cirta (abgeleitet von dem Phönizischen Wort „kirtha“ = Stadt) auf einem Plateau, das 650 m über dem Meeresspiegel liegt. Im Jahre 203 v. Chr. wurde König… …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • CONSTANTINE — (ancient Cirta), Algerian town. Constantine was named after Emperor Constantine in 313. Latin inscriptions give evidence of a Jewish colony there; its surroundings seem to have been inhabited by Judaized Berbers. The Arab conquest brought little… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Cirta — (a. Geogr.), Stadt in Numidien (Afrika), lag auf einem steilen Felsen am Susegmare, einem Nebenfluß des Ampsega, in fruchtbarer Gegend; die größte u. wichtigste Stadt u. Residenz der Könige von Numidien. Sie war von carthagischen Baumeistern… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Cirta — Cirta, im Altertum Stadt in Numidien, das heutige Constantine (s.d.) …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.