- Emmaus• A titular see in Pa1æstina Prima, suffragan of Cæsarea
Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006.
- EmmausEmmaus† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► EmmausA titular see in Pa1æstina Prima, suffragan of Cæsarea. It is mentioned for the first time in 166-165 B.C., when Judas Machabeus defeated there the army of Gorgias (I Mach., iii, 40, iv, 25). A little later the Syrian general Bacchides fortified and garrisoned it (Josephus, Ant. Jud., XIII, i, 3). In A.D. 4, during the rebellion of Athrongius against the Romans, the inhabitants left their city, which was, nevertheless, destroyed by Varus (Joseph us, "Ant. Jud." XVII, x, 7 9; Idem, "Bel. Jud.", II, iv, 3). It soon rose again, for Josephus (Bel. Jud., III, iii, 5) and Pliny (Hist. nat., V, xiv) rank it amongst the "toparchies" of the country. Vespasian took it at the beginning of his campaign against the Jews, stationed a legion in the neighbourhood, and named it Nicopolis (Sozom., Hist. eccl., V, xxi). According to Eusebius and St. Jerome, this name was given to it only in 223, by Julius Africanus, its governor and most illustrious son, and this is the name commonly used by Christian writers. Here a spring in which Christ is said to have washed His feet, and which was reputed to cure all diseases, was closed up by order of Julian the Apostate (Sozom., Hist. eccl., V, xxi). Four Greek bishops are known, from the fourth to the sixth century (Lequien, Or. christ., III, 593). At the beginning of the Arab conquest the plague broke out in the city, and the inhabitants fled; they must have soon returned, however, for Emmaus remained a very important town. It was the last station of the Crusaders on their way to Jerusalem in June, 1099. Eubel (Hierarch. cath., II, 223) has a list of eleven Latin titular bishops, but only for the fifteenth century. To-day 'Am'was (the native name) is a Mussulman village about eighteen miles from Jerusalem, on the road to Jaffa. There are still visible ruins of a beautiful basilica built in the fourth or the fifth century, and repaired by the Crusaders. Near 'Am'was, at El-Atroun, the Trappists founded a priory in 1890.In the opinion of many 'Am'was is the Emmaus of the Gospel (Luke, xxiv, 13 35), where Christ manifested Himself to two of His Disciples. Such is, indeed, the tradition of the Church of Jerusalem, attested as early as the fourth century by Eusebius of Cæsarea, Titus of Bostra, and St. Jerome, a tradition confirmed by all pilgrims, at least to the time of the Crusades; it may even date back to the third century to Julius Africanus and Origen. It is also supported by many Biblical commentaries, some of which are as old as the fourth or the fifth century; in these the Emmaus of the Gospel is said to have stood at 160 stadia from Jerusalem, the modern 'Am'was being at 176 stadia. In spite of its antiquity, this tradition does not seem to be well founded. Most manuscripts and versions place Emmaus at only sixty stadia from Jerusalem, and they are more numerous and generally more ancient than those of the former group. It seems, therefore, very probable that the number 160 is a correction of Origen and his school to make the Gospel text agree with the Palestinian tradition of their time. Moreover, the distance of 160 stadia would imply about six hours' walk, which is inadmissible, for the Disciples had only gone out to the country and could return to Jersualem before the gates were shut (Mark, xvi, 12; Luke, xxiv, 33). Finally, the Emmaus of the Gospel is said to be a village, while 'Am'was was the flourishing capital of a "toparchy". Josephus (Ant. Jud., VII, vi, 6) mentions at sixty stadia from Jerusalem a village called Ammaus, where Vespasian and Titus stationed 800 veterans. This is evidently the Emmaus of the Gospel. But it must have been destroyed at the time of the revolt of Bar-Cocheba (A.D. 132 35) under Hadrian, and its site was unknown as early as the third century. Origen and his friends merely placed the Gospel Emmaus at Nicopolis, the only Emmaus known at their time. The identifications of Koubeibeh, Abou Gosh, Koulonieh, Beit Mizzeh, etc. with Emmaus, as proposed by some modern scholars, are inadmissible.RELAND, Pal stina (Utrecht, 1714), 425 30, 758 60; Palestine Exploration Fund, Quarterly Statement, 1876, 1879, 1881, 1883, 1884, 1885, etc.; BASSI, Emmaüs, città della Palestina (Turin, 1888); BUSSELLI, L'Emmaüs evangelico (Milan, 1885); DOMENICHELLI, L'Emmaüs della Palestina (Leghorn, 1889); GUILLEMOT, Emmaüs-Nicopolis (Paris, 1886); SCHIFFERS, Amwas, das Emmaüs des hl. Lucas, 160 Stadien von Jerusalem (Freiburg im Br., 1890); Revue biblique (1893), 26 40; VAN KASTEREN, Emmaüs-Nicopolis et les auteurs arabes, ibid. (1892), 80 99, 645-649; HEIDET in Dict. de la Bible, s. v.; MEISTERMANN, L'église d'Amouas l'Emmaüs-Nicopolis et l'église de Qoubeibeh, l'Emmaüs de saint Luc (Jerusalem. 1902); VAILHÉ in Echos d'Orient (1902), 407 409; VINCENT, Les ruines d'Amwas in Revue biblique (1903), 571 99.S. VAILHÉTranscribed by Douglas J. Potter Dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.
Look at other dictionaries:
Emmaus — Emmaüs (homonymie) Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Emmaüs est un village cité dans les évangiles, où Jésus Christ apparaît à deux disciples quittant Jérusalem après sa mort. Article… … Wikipédia en Français
EMMAUS — EMMAUS, ancient town in the Judean Shephelah, 20 mi. (33 km.) N.W. of Jerusalem. It is first mentioned as the site of the camp of the Seleucid army under Georgias, which Judah Maccabee routed in 166 B.C.E. (I Macc. 3:40). Six years later it was… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Emmaus — ist: in der Antike: Emmaus (biblischer Ort), ein im Lukasevangelium erwähnter Ort der Begegnung zweier Apostel mit dem auferstandenen Jesus Emmaus Nikopolis, heute Amwas, ein Ort in Palästina ein Ort etwa 8 km westlich von Jerusalem, heute Motsa … Deutsch Wikipedia
Emmaus — Emmaus, PA U.S. borough in Pennsylvania Population (2000): 11313 Housing Units (2000): 5186 Land area (2000): 2.886850 sq. miles (7.476906 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.886850 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Emmaus, PA — U.S. borough in Pennsylvania Population (2000): 11313 Housing Units (2000): 5186 Land area (2000): 2.886850 sq. miles (7.476906 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.886850 sq. miles (7.476906 sq.… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Emmăus — (a. Geogr.), 1) Flecken in Judäa, 60 Stadien von Jerusalem; auf dem Wege dahin gesellte sich Jesus nach seiner Auferstehung zu den 2 Jüngern u. kehrte mit ihnen daselbst ein; an der Stelle dieses Hauses steht jetzt eine Kirche bei Kubeibi; 2)… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Emmăus — Emmăus, 1) Flecken im alten Judäa, unweit Jerusalem (Luk. 24, 13), wo der auferstandene Christus mit den beiden Wanderern einkehrte, ist vielleicht das heutige Kalonîe, nordwestlich von Jerusalem, während die mittelalterliche Tradition E. in… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Emmaus — Emmăus, Flecken in Judäa, westl. von Jerusalem; auf dem Wege dahin erschien der auferstandene Jesus zwei Jüngern (Luk. 24, 13 fg.) … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Emmaus — Emmaus, jüd. Flecken 11/2 M. von Jerusalem, bekannt aus dem N. T. – Stadt am Eingange der Ebene von Sephela, wo Judas Maccabäus die Syrer schlug; hieß im 3. Jahrh. Nikopolis, Siegesstadt … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Emmaüs — (auj. Al Qubeiba) anc. bourg de Judée, au N. de Jérusalem, où Jésus se manifesta à deux de ses disciples après sa résurrection (Luc, XXIV) … Encyclopédie Universelle