- Aleppo• Armenian Rite Archdiocese in Syria
Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006.
- AleppoAleppo† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► AleppoArmenian Rite Archdiocese in Syria. The city of Aleppo is situated in the plain that stretches from the Orontes to the Euphrates in the northwestern extremity of the Syrian desert. It rises in the middle of an oasis on the eight little hills, and is watered by the Kouik. Ancient Egyptian records mention this town. According to an Arab tradition, Abraham lived in it, and distributed some milk to every comer, whence the town's name, Haleb. Seleucus Nicator (311-280 B.C.) gave it the name of Beroea (Berrhoe) by which it was known in early Christian times. Its present Semitic name dates from the Arab conquest in 630. It belonged to the Seljukids from 1090 to 1117; to the Ortokids from 1117 to 1183 (besieged by the Crusaders 1124); to the Ayoubites from 1183 to 1260 (Mongol Invasion); and to the Egyptian Sultans. In 1317 it passed definitively to the Ottoman Turks, except for the Egyptian occupation, 1833-39. To-day it is the chief residence of a vilayet of the same name. In ancient times Aleppo was a commercial depot for the trade between India, the regions along the Tigris and Euphrates, and the Mediterranean. Although it has long lost much of its importance, it still sends to Alexandria the products of Diarbekir, Mossoul, and Baghdad. It is noted for its fertile gardens and its healthy climate. A more disagreeable peculiarity is the ulcer known as the "Aleppo button". The plague raged there in 1822. Its ramparts and forts have fallen into decay. Among the architectural monuments are a Roman aqueduct and a beautiful mosque of the Seljukid epoch. The population is about 127,000 of whom 97,450 are Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ) (Arabs, Turks, etc.), 19,200 Catholics (Greeks, United or Melchites, Syrians, Armenians, Maronites, Chaldeans, and Latins), 2,800 non-Catholic Christians (mostly Gregorian Armenians), and 7,800 Jews. Four Catholic archbishops govern the Melchites, the Syrians, the Armenians, and the Maronites. The Gregorian Armenians are administered by a Vartabet appointed by the Catholicos of Sis. The Orthodox Greeks are very rare in the town, but quite numerous in the surrounding country. They constitute a metropolitan diocese, which separated from the Patriarchate of Antioch in 1757, and was restored to it by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in August, 1888. In the eighteenth century the Orthodox metropolitan, Gerassimus (d. 1783, at Athos) was a stern enemy of the union with Rome. Aleppo remains the centre of the French Catholic missions of Syria. In 1625 the Carmelites established themselves there; somewhat later they retired to Mount Carmel, where they built a monastery. (They had also in the orient other stations.) In Aleppo they were succeeded by the Lazarists from 1785 to 1869. In 1873 the Jesuits founded a mission at Aleppo. In 1626 the Capuchins organized a "Custodia" from which were directed twelve missions. Their activity was interrupted by the French Revolution and in 1808 these Capuchin missions were given to the Italian Franciscans. The latter founded a college in 1859. The Sisters of St. Joseph direct a boarding-school. There are also Protestant (Protestantism) missionaries in Aleppo. It has 260 schools: 115 Mussulman, 116 Christian, and 29 Israelite.S. PÉTRIDÈSTranscribed by William D. Neville
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.
Look at other dictionaries:
ALEPPO — (Ar. Ḥalab; called by the Jews Aram Ẓoba (Aram Ẓova), second largest city in Syria and the center of northern Syria. The Hebrew form of Aleppo (Ḥaleb) is, according to a legend quoted by the 12th century traveler, pethahiah of regensburg ,… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Aleppo — n. 1. a city in Syria. [WordNet 1.5] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Aleppo — (Haleb), 1) Ejalet im türkischen Asien, am Mittelmeere, Theil von Syrien; 460 QM., im Osten u. SOsten Wüste, im Norden u. Westen Gebirge: Alma Dagh, Ain Tab u. Libanon, verbinden sich mit dem Taurus, Vorgebirg Totosa (Rhosos); Flüsse: Euphrat … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Aleppo — (arab. Haleb), Hauptstadt des gleichnamigen asiatisch türk. Wilajets, das, den nördlichen Teil von Syrien und den nordwestlichen Teil Mesopotamiens umfassend, in die Liwas Marasch, Urfa u. Haleb geteilt ist. Die Stadt liegt 380 m ü. M. und 300 km … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Aleppo — Aleppo, türk. syr. Stadt, jetzt Haleb (s.d.) … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Aleppo — [ä lep′ə lep′ō] city in NW Syria: pop. 1,494,000: also Alep [ä lep′] … English World dictionary
Aleppo — Halab redirects here. For other uses, see Halab (disambiguation). For other uses, see Aleppo (disambiguation). Aleppo حلب Halep, Ḥalab Aleppo City landmarks … Wikipedia
Aleppo — arabisch حلب, DMG Ḥalab Aleppo … Deutsch Wikipedia
Aleppo — /euh lep oh/, n. a city in NW Syria. 710,636. French, Alep /ann lep /. * * * Arabic Ḥalab City (pop., 1994: 1,582,930), northwestern Syria. Syria s largest city, it is about 30 mi (48 km) from the Turkish border. Lying at the crossroads of great… … Universalium
Aleppo — Original name in latin Aleppo Name in other language ALP, Alep, Alepas, Alepo, Aleppe, Aleppo, Aleppu, Alepp Alp, Berea, Beroea, Chalepi, Gorad Khaleb, Halab, Haleb, Haleba, Halep, Heleb, Hlb, Khaleb, Khalepion, Madinat Halab, Madnat alab, Xalab … Cities with a population over 1000 database